ESAM - Energy Strategic Asset Management in Social Housing Operators in Europe
Improving the energy performance of the social housing stock is becoming a major need in Europe. This will only be achieved by implementing energy-efficient refurbishments of the existing buildings, which are the most energy consuming. Doing this on a large scale requires to focus on the Social Housing Operators, which are the organizations in charge of managing a housing stock of several thousand rental dwellings (except in the case of Estonia where "social housing" is composed of co-operatives of owner-occupiers).
The ESAM project is led by a consortium composed of 14 organizations from 6 countries: France, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, Austria and Estonia. It involves:
- Social housing Operators (SHO's)
- professional federations of SHO's
- research institures and energy agencies
The improvement of the global energy performance of the housing stock will only be possible if energy is taken into account at all steps of the management of a SHO's housing stock. ESAM has chosen to focus on strategic asset management (also called "portfolio management"), which deals with investment decisions for the whole housing stock, and to develop methods and tools to integrate energy as a dimension in these processes: that is what Energy Strategic Asset Management refers to. The enforcement of energy performance certificates across Europe creates an obligation to gather information on the energy performance of the buildings. The ESAM project wants to make this an opportunity for SHO's to develop an ambitious policy for energy efficiency.
Energy Strategic Asset Management requires:
- to make an energy diagnosis of the housing stock
- to identify the most energy-efficient investments
- to define a global strategy for upgrading the energy performance of the housing stock
The project also considers that energy performance can be improved through a better co-operation with stakeholders.
ESAM is developing methodologies and information systems supporting:
- the implementation of the energy certificates
- the use of the data from the energy certificates to make an energy strategic diagnosis of the housing stock
- the definition of energy-retrofitting strategies for each estate and for the housing stock in general
- the improvement of co-operation with other stakeholders on energy matters: tenants, local authorities, maintenance companies, energy providers.
ESAM has started on January 1st, 2006 and will end in December 2008. The project is funded by the Intelligent Energy Europe Programme. The sole responsibility for the content of this webpage, publication lies with the authors. It does not represent the opinion of the European Communities. The European Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information contained therein.
2006 - 2008
Tel.: +49 (0)6151-2904-57
- European commission, Intelligent Energy Europe (IEE)